Chapels at Mount St. Scholastica Convent
The Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica have been in Atchison since 1863 and at their present location since 1877.
St. Scholastica Chapel was dedicated in 1938, the 75th anniversary of the Benedictine Sisters' arrival in Atchison. The interior is rich with beautiful marbles including Rosso Verona pillars, in which many visible fossils can be seen. There is a beautiful large rose window, and stained-glass windows honoring the seven martyred women saints mentioned in the ancient Canon of the Mass.
A Romanesque vaulted ceiling graces the interior of the Choir Chapel, which has facing choir stalls and stained-glass windows retelling the life of St. Benedict.
The Convent is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and tours of the chapels and a religious history room can be made by appointment.
801 South 8th St.
To: Atchison County
© Copyright 1998 LASR