Boot Hill Cemetery
The original Boot Hill was located in Hays not Dodge City, as many people believe. In fact, when Dodge City was founded in 1872, the Hays City Boot Hill was well populated. Mrs. Elizabeth Custer spent the summers of 1869 and 1870 near Hays with her husband, Lt. Col. George Custer. In her book, Following the Guidon, she states that there were already 36 graves in the cemetery before she left.
Estimates of the number of people buried there vary from 37 to 100, but the most reliable evidence shows there were approximately 79 graves. When homes were built at the site, many bodies were moved from Boot Hill to the Mount Allen Cemetery. Records, however, were incomplete and therefore the whereabouts of these are lost in history.
Not all of those murdered in Hays City the first six years were buried here. Several were soldiers, probably buried at the Fort cemetery.
18th and Fort streets
To: Ellis County
© Copyright 1998 LASR