Kansas County Index / Kansas Lake Index / LASR Homepage
Architecture / Arts / Attractions / Calendar / Culture / History / Parks / People / Scenic / Sport
|FORT LEAVENWORTH||The oldest U.S. Army fort in existence west of the Mississippi. It was established in 1827 as a frontier post to protect trade on the Santa Fe Trail. Fort Leavenworth is now the home of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. It is also said to be the finest senior tactical school in the world for advanced military education.|
|FORT SCOTT||Established in 1842 by the U.S. Army to protect the Permanent IndianFrontier. It was then abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1853 when the frontier started moving westward. The Fort's buildings were sold at public auction in 1855 and then became the town of Fort Scott. It's National Historic Site consists of 20 major historic structures, 33 historically furnished rooms, a bookstore and museum exhibits.|
|FORT RILEY||Built to protect travelers on the Santa Fe and Oregon Trails as the frontier went westward. Established in 1853 and in 1866 became the site of the formation of the 7th Cavalry Regiment lead by Lt. Col. George Custer. In 1892 the fort became important in the U.S. Army's educational system. The fort's schools became the center of cavalry tactics and training. Today the Army's 1st Infantry Division, the 1st Armored Division, is located at Fort Riley.|
|FORT LARNED||Established in 1859 when the Army posted dugouts and tents along the Pawnee River. The post was changed to Camp on Pawnee Fork, then it was changed to Camp Alert because there was need to be alert for Indian raids. The post was later moved and renamed to Fort Larned. It is known to be the best surviving example of an Indian wars era frontier Army post. Today it is operated as a National Historic Site by the Naional Park Service.|
|FORT HAYS||Origionaly built to protect military roads and the Smoky Hill Trail, guard
the mails, and defend construction gangs on the Union Pacific Railway. It was also used as a supply depot shipping badly needed supplies to other U.S. Army posts in western and southern Kansas. Four original structures still stand, including the blockhouse, guardhouse, and two officers' quarters.
|FORT DODGE||Established in 1865 and served as a supply depot and base of operations against warring Plains Indians. The fort boasted four companies of infantry in the height of it's operaion. The 7th Cavalry was at Fort Dodge when George Custer returned to his regiment after a court martial suspension. The fort still serves as the Kansas Soldier's Home today.|
|FORT HARKER|| It was first established as Fort Ellsworth, and provided protection to
the Kansas Stage Line and military wagon trains traveling the Fort Riley Road and Smoky Hill Trail. Despatch began operation in 1865 along the Smoky Hill route to Denver. November of 1866, the post was renamed Fort Harker. It served as a supply depot and distribution point for all the forts in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and northern Texas. Today most of what was Fort Harker is private property.
|FORT WALLACE|| Established in 1865 and was first named Camp Pond Creek. The fort
protected travelers heading west along the Smoky Hill Trail to the Denver gold fields. In 1882 the U.S. government discontinued the servics of Fort Wallace and abandoned the site. The remains of the origional fort is the old post cemetery, enclosed by stone walls within the Wallace Township cemetery.
© Copyright LASR