Studley is a small, church-centered community with a big heart !
The town of Studley sits on the border of Graham and Sheridan Counties on US Highway 24. Originally, two towns were platted along the new Union Pacific Railroad branch, each complete with named streets. Skelton (named after the river in England) was on the Sheridan County side, and Carll was on the Graham County side.
The community had strong English ties from its beginning. In 1878, the Pratt family arrived from England, along with several others like the Fosters and the Turtles. They were familiar with raising sheep. Since sheep required no fences, no horses to herd them, and very little capital or extra help, sheep raising quickly proved an excellent way for these English newcomers to get a start in America.
On January 1, 1885, the community became known as Studley. Abraham Pratt so named it for Studley Royal, a park in the King's hunting ground in England.
Another early settler, James L. Davis, homesteaded two miles east of Studley in
1879. Then, on December 10, 1910, he deeded land to the community for a
church, which was to be a community church. The church site is in Graham
County, although most of the community is located in Sheridan County. Originally
the church was built and used by Episcopalians for regular worship and for Sunday
School; however, it has always served all faiths.
Studley is currently home to a rural co-op maintaining both a service station and a grain elevator. They remain the community's only operating businesses.
Cottonwood Ranch, historic home and sheep ranch of the Pratt family, is open for visitations as one of the states most well preserved historic sites.