Axtell Hospital

Axtell hospital was founded in 1887 by Dr. John T. Axtell and his wife, Lucena. The original wood frame hospital was gradually replaced by three brick additions constructed in 1905, 1911 and 1912. When these projects were completed, Axtell Hospital had the distinction of being the first fireproof hospital in Kansas. After celebrating 100 years of health care in 1987, Axtell Clinic ceased operations. On January 1, 1998, the hospital consolidated with Bethel Deaconess Hospital to form Newton Medical Center. All services were moved from the building on September 6, 1988

To: Harvey County
To: Newton


© Copyright 1998 LASR