The Newton Station, completed in 1930, was built during the Depression for 350,000. Modeled after Shakespeare's house at Stratford-on-Avon, the Newton Station was home to a Harvey House between 1930 and 1955. The Harvey House was formerly located in the Strong Hotel and Arcade Hotel before moving to the Newton Station in 1930. The Harvey House employed "Harvey Girls" - women of good character who assisted travelers along the Santa Fe route. The girls wore black shoes and stockings, a black dress, and tied their hair with white ribbons. The newton Station still serves as an Amtrak stop today in addition to housing several local businesses.
State and National historic Landmark
To: Harvey County
© Copyright 1998 LASR