Jackson, under the old name of Calhoun, was one of the thirty-three counties established by the first Territorial Legislature at its session in 1855 at the Shawnee School in Johnson County.
Originally name in honor of John C. Calhoun, Secretary of War under President Monroe and a pro-slavery sympathizer, the name was changed in 1859 to honor Andrew Jackson, formaer President and an anti-slavery sympathizer.
The county contains nine cities and the Prairie Band Potawatomi Reservation. The county square is located in downtown Holton, approximately 3/4 mile east of U.S. 75 highway on Kansas 16 (4th St.)
© Copyright 1998 LASR