Stanton County Museum
Located at 104 East Highland, the Stanton County Museum gives a glimpse of the past and a fascinating look at the history of Stanton County. There are nine buildings on the museum site and each has a special story to tell about the residents and the proud pioneer history of this county.
1. The main building of the museum complex is built of native stone. Originally constructed as a shop for the road department, the building was built in 1935 as a WPA project.
2. The Santa Fe Depot was constructed in 1923. It was sold at auction 60 years later and purchased by Alfred Ramsay and donated to the museum. The depot houses railroad memorabilia including a small collection of 1930's Santa Fe calendars.
3. The decommissioned Santa Fe caboose has been repainted inside and is set up similar to what it would have been like for the train crew who used it as working and living quarters.
4. The Vosburg ironclad elevator was constructed in 1928. As the largest elevator in Johnson, it had a capacity of 15,000 bushels of grain. Most grain trucks of that era held only 60 bushels. The elevator was moved from its location on the railroad tracks to the museum site in 1994.
5. The scale house that accompanies the elevator features weighing equipment and other artifacts necessary for operation. A second room in the scale house is a bunkhouse room with cowboys and farmhand artifacts.
6. The reconstructed jail houses the county's original double jail cell with attached corridor, and tells the story of the progress of law enforcement in Stanton County.
7. The Ray Scott building was moved from its location just off Main Street. It has the original pressed tin ceiling and wall. It houses the museum's collection of transportation and tractors, along with automotive tools and accessories.
8. The 1923 house was built by Elam and Helena Hilty. The original four rooms housed the family, and a schoolteacher often boarded with them as the house was located across the street from the Old Rock School. Altho, the house was modernized in 1948 with indoor plumbing, the original four rooms are set up in a manner that is consistent with the 1920's.
9. The old general store building has been home to a variety of businesses and still contains original counters of Tucker's general store.
First Sunday Monthly
Special hours for tours and groups by appointment (316) 492-1526
104 East Highland
Johnson, Kansas 67855
To: Stanton County
To: Johnson City