The Taylor Pioneer Museum was opened July 5, 1996, in a Pioneer Home built in 1930 by volunteers. A highlight piece of the museum is the drum seen in the Taylor town logo.
The Fourth of July has a special meaning in Taylor, in addition to being the date recognized as our nation's birthday. The drum was used by Cyrus Jennings when he came to Taylor in 1887 and started the Jenning Band. The band (and the drum) played every Fourth of July in Taylor, until Cyrus Jennings' death in 1909.
Former Arizona Supreme Court Judge Renz Jennings was given the drum in 1926, and in 1936 he revived the Jennings Band. Tradition states that Cyrus Jennings would walk out of his house, beating the drum, while other musicians would join him and continue their music all the way to the old Church on Center Street.
The Jennings Drum was made by Major Edward P. Duzette in 1840 in Nauvoo, Illinois. In 1847, the drum crossed the plains with Brigham Young on his famous trek to Salt Lake City. In his later years, Major Duzette held a contest and taught several boys how to play the drum. Cyrus Jenning won the contest and the drum.
The drum, along with other artifacts depicting Taylor's history, are on display at the Museum.
The Taylor Anvil hails back to a Standiford family tradition (one of the original settler families to Taylor). "Firing of the Anvil" takes place every 4th of July at 4:00AM as the beginning of the patriotic festivities. The heavy duty anvil was used by the Mormon Battalion in 1847, and was brought to Taylor by Joseph S. Hancock in the late 1800's to be used in his blacksmith shop. The unique tradition of "firing the anvil" was begun by the original Taylor Pioneer families as a substitute for a canon. The tradition was revived in 1953, and continues to this day.
Hours: Monday from 6PM-8PM
Address: 14 South 400 East
Come visit us in Taylor, Arizona