LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Atoka, Oklahoma

Atoka, Oklahoma

The city of Atoka was named for Capt. Atoka, Choctaw leader and signer of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, 1830, providing Choctaw removal from Mississippi to Indian Territory.

Atoka County was organized in the Choctaw Nation in 1854. This was an important Atoka Agreement with the United States, to close Choctaw and Chickasaw governments, and signed in this city in 1897. - Historical Marker

The city was founded in 1867 by Rev. J.S. Murrow, a Baptist Missionary. Capt. Atoka was buried about twenty miles east of town near the town of Farris. When the section was surveyed, the chief\\\'s resting place was found and marked. Be sure to visit the Confederate Memorial Museum, Cemetery, and Information Center with memorabilia from a Civil War battle fought on February 13, 1864, stone artifacts, tableaux, clothing and weapons.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Historic Churches

M.E. Church - 1915 2nd Street, 1

Atoka, OK Historic Churches

Historic Downtown

Take in some of Atoka's History by viewing the historic downtown buildings. 1901 Bank Building

Atoka, OK Historic Downtowns


Butterfield Stage Line

Standing at the forefront of the old Butterfield road imagine the stage coach hustling along the old wooden fence line up the well-ridden ruts that are still visible today and coming to an abrupt halt at the rest stop. The Butterfield Overland Mail route directed its route to Boggy Depot in 1858

Atoka, OK Railroad History

Boggy Depot Townsite

Prelude to a State Boggy Depot's contribution to Oklahoma outlasted all her structures, for it was the source of the state's name. Chief Allen Wright, principal chief of the Choctaw Nation, suggested the word "Oklahoma" (meaning "Red People") in 1866

Atoka, OK Historic Towns

Things to do near Atoka, OK