LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Chandler, Oklahoma

Chandler, Oklahoma

It was a beautiful bright sunny day that Monday in September. There was a flurry of excitement in the tent city of some 3,000 as they awaited the signal to start their new lives. At high noon, September 28, 1891, a shot rang out and the race was on for one of only two Oklahoma cities settled with its own land run. Up the steep hills of Bell Cow Creek they climbed, each anxious to get the choicest to town lots for their homes and businesses. Thus, \"the City of Hills\" was born.

The race for townsites was a wild one. Unknowingly in the confusion, some staked out street intersections, alleys, and even on the court house square. But, the excitement died down and the building began.

It was an \"inland\" town for railroads didn\'t arrive until 1898. Commuters and supplies came in wagons or stagecoaches. Lumber was either native or usually brought from Guthrie.

On March 30, 1897 the town nearly blew away. A vicious tornado severely damaged or leveled all but the First Presbyterian Church. It was used as a hospital for the injured and dying citizens.

The hardy settlers began to rebuild immediately. And many of these homes and buildings remain and are in use today. Chandler retains much of the character given to it by these early settlers who have left us their architectural handiwork. Six of them have been declared by the Oklahoma Historical Society to be \"Oklahoma Landmarks.\"

Chandler received its name from George Chandler, an early day judge and later Assistant Secretary of the Interior, and was officially organized May, 20, 1892.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

National Guard Artillery Encampment

The Statistical House was built in 1907 at Chandler to house officers and scorekeepers compiling results of rifle practices and competitions during Oklahoma National Guard encampments and other training sessions. It later served half a century as housing for Business and professional Women'

Chandler, OK Memorials

Chandler High School

National Register of Historic Places Built by the WPA in 1942 of native limestone.

Chandler, OK Historic Buildings

The Mascho Buildings

National Register of Historic Places The oldest commercial buildings in Lincoln County, these sandstone "twin" buildings were built by pioneer merchant, A.E. Macho in 1897 and 1898. The earlier building was first constructed in 1896

Chandler, OK Historic Buildings

Chandler Lake

Chandler Lake is the smaller of the two lakes in Chandler.

The lake offers excellent fishing while being adjacent to the Chandler Municipal Golf Course. There is plenty of parking and it does provide aboat ramp.

FEE SCHEDULE

Chandler, OK Recreation

Johnson-Yinger-Young House

National Register of Historic Places This two-story white clapboard home was built in 1897 by H.F. Johnson as a simple territorial "four square" home. In 1905

Chandler, OK Historic Homes

Things to do near Chandler, OK

Riverbend Golf Course

27 holes. ...

Hefner Lake Parks

The Stars & Stripes Park has a playground, picnic area, drinking water, grills, and restrooms. Pat Murphy Park offers ...

Stained Glass Tours

Features beautiful architecture and exquisite stained glass. Includes a glass studio and demonstration....

Morris House

Circe 1904, the only remaining building from Langston's territorial period, Formerly a boarding house for Oklahoma's Colored ...