Waconda Springs for centuries inspired wonder among its visitors. Both Indians and whites marveled at Kansas' largest saltwater spring. The diameter at the base is 300 feet. Waconda is a deep-seated s... Healing Waters: the Legend of Waconda Springs
Built in 1901 for a total of $38,310. of 8" pitchfaced native limestone, of Richardsonian Romanesque design.
The Seth Thomas four-faced clock in the courthouse tower was installed in 1904 and paid for by donations. Originally run by hand, the clock was electrified in 1950. Of the 25 rooms on 3
The museum, organized in 1971, has four floors of displays featuring historical items of Mitchell County. The building was formerly a nurses home built in 1929 in a "Williamsburg" design.
Displays include: Dishes, quilts, guns, china head dolls, iron toys, old maps, 400 bells, an 1867
When Col. William Newton Kinslow died in Beloit on Oct. 18, 1948, many attended his funeral, but no one bought him a head stone to mark his final resting place.
At 6'7", Kinslow was a member of the National Society of Longfellows and at one time was listed as the second tallest man in Kansas.
A structure built of native limestone completed in 1904 in the form of a Latin Cross of Romanesque and Gothic style. It was the first church built in the United States with flying buttresses and an entire stone ceiling. The twin towers are 100' tall, 108' including the crosses adorning each tower.