LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Belvidere


category : Museums
Belvidere This magnificent Victorian mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was started circa 1902 by John M. Bayless. He moved here from Missouri. He also built a three-story Opera House, the Sequoyah Hotel, and an athletic building with an indoor swimming pool. Only the Belvidere remains today. He soon brought his wife and 7 children to Claremore. He died in 1907, six months before the mansion was finished. Many of the materials used to build the mansion were brought from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.

In the 1930's, the mansion was purchased and made into apartments. It is presently owned and is being restored by the Rogers County Historical Society. The mansion is decorated for Christmas season around the first of November until the middle of December. It is filled with arts and crafts, antiques, gifts...all for sale. Call for the "Christmas At The Belvidere" schedule. New at the Belvidere is a year-round Victorian gift shop, featuring new and antique furniture and gift items.


Admission: Donations for restoration are appreciated.
Hours: The mansion is open for shopping and touring Thursday thru Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Group tours by appointment.
Address: 4th & Chickasaw
Phone: 918-342-2693

Come visit us in Claremore, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

J. Bartley Milam Home

This private home was originally built by J. BARTLEY MILAM, Principal Chief of the Cherokees. The Cherokee government had been dismantled in 1907 when Oklahoma became a state. In 1941, Milam was appointed Chief for a year by Franklin D. Roosevelt and was reappointed until his death in 1949

Claremore, OK Historic Homes

Rogers County Courthouse

The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.

Claremore, OK Historic Courthouses

Claremore Lake

Claremore Lake features 500 surface acres for boating and great bass fishing (no swimming allowed). There are 2 boat ramps, courtesy dock and 3 fishing piers, 1 for senior citizens and disabled children, 2 for general public use. Enhancing the lake is a 60

Claremore, OK Recreation

Rogers State University

When Oklahoma was granted statehood, the first legislature established Eastern University Preparatory School, which opened on College Hill in Claremore in 1909

Claremore, OK Colleges

Things to do Museums near Claremore, OK