LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Benjamin, Texas

On the divide between the South Wichita and Brazos rivers, Benjamin was established in 1884 when 12 houses were built with lumber hauled from Wichita Falls. The city was named after town founder H.G. Bedford's son, Benjamin, who was fatally struck by lightning as a child. The early center of cattlemen's activities, the present seat of Knox County is still a major farming area for wheat, seedless watermelons, potatoes, and onions. The area is also known for wild hogs and was one of the first to post "wild hogs crossing" signs in the state. The area is also popular with hunters for its abundance of geese, duck, deer, dove, quail, turkey and wild hog. A jail was built in 1887 which still stands as a private home, and the safe of an old bank still stands next to the current sheriff's office.

Local lakes Benjamin, Davis, and Catherine offer abundant water activities.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Knox County Veterans Memorial

Located at corner of U.S. 82 and Texas 6, impressive monument dedicated in 2000 honors allKnox County veterans from the Spanish-AmericanWar through current conflicts. Center arch is flanked by 10 granite slabs listing all county veterans'

Benjamin, TX Monuments

Knox County Museum

Barbed-wire collection and other relics from early settlers on view in county courthouse, which was built in 1936 to replace previous stone structure built in 1888. New museum home is currently being constructed onU.S. 82 where 1920

Benjamin, TX Museums

Scenic Drive

Thirty-six mile loop northeast provides views of farm and ranch lands cut by South Wichita River breaks, where fantastic shapes in layers of multicolored soils can be seen. North on Texas 6 to F.M. 1756, east to F.M. 267, south to U.S. 82, then west back to Benjamin. A roadside park on U.S. 82

Benjamin, TX Scenic Drives

Things to do near Benjamin, TX

Wellington Country Club

Course Access: PublicHoles: 9Reserve Advance Tee Times: 7 days...

Medicine Mounds

Four unusual cone-shaped hills that rise some 350 feet above the surrounding plains; named by the Comanche Indians, held in a...

Don Harrington Discovery Center

In a 51-acre park with lake and picnic area, this center offers a variety of attractions. The center hosts a diverse collecti...

Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge

North 13 mi. on Texas 214. Founded 1935, oldest national wildlife refuge in Texas. Established principally for migratory wate...

Post Office Mural

National and Post Office history depicted in 6- by 10-foot mural of postage stamps. Seven years and some 12,000 stamps were r...