Big Spring, Texas
The seat of Howard County's name was derived from a huge natural spring on the Sulphur Draw that provided water to buffalo, antelope, wild mustangs, and the Comanche and Shawnee Indians. The first white men appeared at the site in 1849. Today, the spring is located at center of city park.
Big Spring is the home of Howard College and the Dorothy Garrett Coliseum, and South west Collegiate Institute for the Deaf.
The heritage walking tour features 26 historic buildings with antique and gift shops, a railroad and train display, and memorabilia, in the Big Spring downtown area.