Boys Ranch, Texas
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch is a nationally known home for boys and girls who benefit from guidance and education in a ranch setting. Established in 1939 by the late Cal Farley, Texas businessman and world welterweight wrestling champion of the 1920s.
The first boys who came to the ranch lived in the abandoned courthouse of Old Tascosa that is now the Julian Bivins Museum. Founded and expanded by private donations, the ranch today covers 11,000 acres. Facilities include a chapel, clinic, schools, auditorium, visitors center, and 27 homes for children.
More than 400 boys and girls help operate the ranch, attend school and vocational classes, and enjoy a year-round program of athletics. A popular annual event is the Boys Ranch Rodeo, Labor Day weekend, featuring competition among youths of all ages. Approximately 40 students graduate from the fully accredited Boys Ranch High School each year, entering the adult world as useful, self-reliant citizens. Visitors are welcome at the ranch; open daily 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.