Brackettville was established as a supply village for the adjacent Fort Clark in 1852. The Fort was one of the most historic military posts in the Southwest. Over the years, many infantry regiments and most of the Army's cavalry units saw duty at Fort Clark. Deactivated in 1944, the property is now a resort development.
Brackettville, the seat of Kinney County, also became the trade center for surrounding ranches and irrigated farms. Hunting in area is favored for white-tailed deer, wild turkey, javelina, and upland game birds.