The old jail is the oldest building in Ellsworth. Earlier jails were temporary structures like cages. At other times, prisoners were housed in private homes.
This jail was authorized on April 2 1872, with the lower floor designated as the jail and the upper floor to be used as court rooms. (
A 1909 wooden caboose given to the museum by the "Union Pacific Railroad."
This caboose is one of 26 known wooden "Union Pacific" cabooses still in existence in the United States and is the only one known of in Kansas.
Following a complete restoration the caboose celebrated its 100