Camp Verde, Texas
The small community of Camp Verde lies in the beautiful Hill Country area at the approximate site of historic Camp Verde, a U.S. Army frontier post which was established July 8, 1855, as headquarters for the famous Army camel experiment. Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, promoted an experiment to use camels for overland communications and transportation across the rugged, often arid country to the west, terminating at Fort Yuma, California. Taken over by Confederates in 1861, it was regarrisoned by Federals in 1865, and then abandoned in 1869.
The only remaining structure is now a main ranch house of a local ranch, not open to the public. A roadside park on the bank of Verde Creek and an old-fashioned general store/post office are enjoyed by visitors.