Camp Wood, Texas
Camp Wood grew around the U.S. Army post of same name established in 1857. The site was an abandoned location of a Spanish mission, San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz, founded by Franciscan missionaries in 1762. The Army abandoned the post in 1861, but Texas Rangers used the facilities for a number of years following the Civil War. Historical markers just north of Camp Wood on Texas 55 give details of the fort and mission. The town is at edge of the Nueces River Canyon in an area of Hill Country camps and sparkling streams.