LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Cawker City, Kansas

Cawker City, Kansas

Cawker City was founded in 1870 by E. H. Cawker, J.P. Rice, R. Ksinka and J. Huckle, with a false start in 1870 when incorrect land descriptions were filed. A land dispute with other settlers resulted in the present site of Cawker becoming a town and the settlement of another town, Waconda, being abandoned. The Cawker town plat was recorded in 1871 and Colonel Cawker built the first building. Each of the founders wanted the town to be named after himself. To settle the matter they played a friendly hand of poker with Cawker winning the honor. The city was incorporated as a third class city in 1874. In the early days, people traveled from eastern cities to take health treatments at Waconda Springs, east of town.

Today over 300,000 people a year enjoy fishing, hunting, boating camping and other activities around the 12,586 acre Waconda Lake, as well as the business, social, and cultural life of Cawker City. The town has about 600 year round residents who are very caring and family oriented. The Cawker City Community Club actively plans activities for the whole community, as well as visitors to enjoy.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

United Methodist Church Organ

Built in 1886, the Cawker City United Methodist Church Organ is the oldest church organ in Kansas. Henry Pilcher's Sons of Louisville, Kentucky built the organ for the congregational church in Kinsley, Kansas. At the time, it was the only organ in Kansas west of Emporia. In 1931

Cawker City, KS Historic Churches

Lakeside Golf Course

Lakeside Golf Course is a 9-hole artificial turf course built in 1994 and open to the public. It was designed by Dave Cunningham. Weekday green fees for non-members are $3.00 for 9 holes during peak season. Weekend green fees for non-members are $3.00 for 9 holes during peak season. Yardage: 522

Cawker City, KS Golf Courses

World's Largest Ball of Twine

One of the world's largest balls of twine is displayed in a shelter house in downtown Cawker City on Highway 24. In 1953, Frank Stoeber, a thrifty local farmer started the ball with used twine from bales of hay. By 1973

Cawker City, KS One Of A Kinds

Cawker City Cemeteries

Prairie Grove Cemetery and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Cemetery are located 1/2 mile north of the city limits on Lake Drive and then 1/2 mile east.

Cawker City, KS Cemeteries


Things to do near Cawker City, KS

Kansas Walleye Association

http://kansaswalleye.org/ You are invited to the five scheduled tournaments at some of the finest lakes in Kansas. The KW...

Historic Downtown Walking Tour

Self-guided tour of downtown square. Pick up a brochure at one of the four hisotry kiosks on the Courthouse Square. ...