Cedar Park, Texas
Like many towns and cities in Texas, Cedar Park was originally settled in the late 1800s and owed much of its past growth to the development of the railroad. In 1881, a narrow gage railroad running through Cedar Park, connecting Austin to Burnet, was used to haul granite for rebuilding the state capitol and establishing Cedar Park as a permanent settlement under the name of Brueggerhoff, taking its new name from one of the railroad company officials. The community was also known as Running Brushy after a heavy-flowing spring.
In 1973, a prehistoric archeological site six miles east of the city was discovered by the Texas Department of Transportation as they were excavating for the expansion of F.M. 1431. More than 150 fireplaces and campsites were uncovered and in 1982, archeologists discovered the skeleton of a human female, 10,000 - 13,000 years old, that became known as the "Leanderthal Lady." The significant archeological find is located by a historical marker.
The city voted to incorporate in 1973. Growth has paralleled Austin's growth to the northwest along U.S. 183.