LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Chandler, Oklahoma

Chandler, Oklahoma

It was a beautiful bright sunny day that Monday in September. There was a flurry of excitement in the tent city of some 3,000 as they awaited the signal to start their new lives. At high noon, September 28, 1891, a shot rang out and the race was on for one of only two Oklahoma cities settled with its own land run. Up the steep hills of Bell Cow Creek they climbed, each anxious to get the choicest to town lots for their homes and businesses. Thus, \"the City of Hills\" was born.

The race for townsites was a wild one. Unknowingly in the confusion, some staked out street intersections, alleys, and even on the court house square. But, the excitement died down and the building began.

It was an \"inland\" town for railroads didn\'t arrive until 1898. Commuters and supplies came in wagons or stagecoaches. Lumber was either native or usually brought from Guthrie.

On March 30, 1897 the town nearly blew away. A vicious tornado severely damaged or leveled all but the First Presbyterian Church. It was used as a hospital for the injured and dying citizens.

The hardy settlers began to rebuild immediately. And many of these homes and buildings remain and are in use today. Chandler retains much of the character given to it by these early settlers who have left us their architectural handiwork. Six of them have been declared by the Oklahoma Historical Society to be \"Oklahoma Landmarks.\"

Chandler received its name from George Chandler, an early day judge and later Assistant Secretary of the Interior, and was officially organized May, 20, 1892.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Clapp-Cunningham Building

National Register of Historic Places The building was building 1899 by L. W. Clapp, Wichita, Kansas financier and mayor. The architecture is termed "Richardson-Romanesque"

Chandler, OK Historic Buildings

Chandler High School

National Register of Historic Places Built by the WPA in 1942 of native limestone.

Chandler, OK Historic Buildings

First Presbyterian Church

National Register of Historic Places Built in 1894 of lumber hauled by wagons from Guthrie, Oklahoma, this structure was one of few, if any public buildings left intact after the tragic cyclone of 1897

Chandler, OK Historic Churches

National Guard Artillery Encampment

The Statistical House was built in 1907 at Chandler to house officers and scorekeepers compiling results of rifle practices and competitions during Oklahoma National Guard encampments and other training sessions. It later served half a century as housing for Business and professional Women'

Chandler, OK Memorials

Bell Cow Lake

Bell Cow Lake has four recreation and camping areas, two on the North Side and two on the South Side.

North Side of the Lake

Area A

Pavilion
Five Parking Sites (No Electricity)
Restroom Facilities

Chandler, OK Recreation

Things to do near Chandler, OK

JW Taylor Lake

Camping, boating, picnic areas. ...

Fort Reno

Exhibits from cavalry outpost, 1874-1908; WWII German POW Cemetery. ...

Yukon's Best Railroad Museum

Three cabooses and one box car contain Rock Island memorabilia and other railroad antiques and artifacts. Old Interurban Depo...

WPA Armory

Okemah's WPA Armory was built in the 1930's during the depression as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's program design...