The popular Truskett Opera House which was built in 1907 burned along with other businesses in 1910 having a $50,000 loss. The Caney Elk's Club acquired the opera house facilities and rebuilt a building for club use. Their "Elk's Hall"
The first school, built in 1870, was a log cabin provided by Berryman Smith. The teacher, Mrs. O.M. \"Billie\" Smith, had 25 students enrolled. Bonds for the next school building, the Little White School House, were sold to raise $1,800 and the school was built in 1872 for $900