category : Historic Buildings
National Register of Historic Places
The building was building 1899 by L. W. Clapp, Wichita, Kansas financier and mayor. The architecture is termed "Richardson-Romanesque" for its designs of terra cotta medallions, formed brick and rough-cut stone ledges. Egg and dart trim also is featured in its upper story designs.
The first tenants were the Star Store and Bank of Chandler. Upstairs in paneled offices with walk-in concrete and steel vaults were lawyers, abstractors and physicians. Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Cunningham and Miss Myrtle Cunningham owned the building for 50 years and operated it as a hotel and apartments called The Lincoln Rooms. It was then purchased by the Union National Bank, and is currently occupied by the Chandler Library.
Come visit us in Chandler, Oklahoma