LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Claremore, Oklahoma

Claremore, Oklahoma

We invite you to visit where we live, where the likes of Will Rogers grew up, along with astronaut Stuart Roosa, and Mrs. Sam (Helen) Walton, the recently retired JC Penney Chairman of the Board, W.R. Howell, where singer Pattie Page was born, where long-time and famous rodeo announcer, Clem McSpadden lives, where author Lynn Riggs wrote about his youth growing up in the area through his story "Green Grow the Lilacs" which Rodgers and Hammerstein transformed into the beautiful production of "Oklahoma!" Andy Payne from the Foyil area won the first "transcontinental" foot race referred to as the Bunion Derby in 1928. Who knows what future notables are growing up here now!

Claremore History

What is now Claremore, Oklahoma was once a vast wilderness practically uninhabited except for wild animals. In 1802, a band of Osage Indians settled on a 25 acre mound along the Verdigris River. The mound became known as Clermont, French for "clear mountain" and Glahmo, the osage chief became known as Chief Clermont. After the infamous "Trail of Tears", the Cherokees were given title to the land, and the Osage were removed to a reservation, later called Osage County.

The Cherokees were remarkable people. They prospered, organized constitutional governments, established towns, published newspapers, magazines and books, and established an extensive educational system. The Historic Tour of Claremore is not just about places, but the story of people and the Indian heritage that is woven together to make this a little city with a big Hall of Fame.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Rogers University Conservation Education Reserve

Rogers University Conservation Education Reserve is a 120 acre natural resource conservation education facility adjacent to the main campus of Rogers University. Bird watching, wildlife observation, outdoor photography, walking trails, picnicking, and fishing are available.

Claremore, OK Learning Centers

Old Armory

The Oklahoma National Guard Armory was built by the WPA in 1936 during President Franklin D. Roosevelt's term and was constructed by local Claremore residents with the sandstone unearthed in Oklahoma. During the 1940'

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Claremore Lake

Claremore Lake features 500 surface acres for boating and great bass fishing (no swimming allowed). There are 2 boat ramps, courtesy dock and 3 fishing piers, 1 for senior citizens and disabled children, 2 for general public use. Enhancing the lake is a 60

Claremore, OK Recreation

Will Rogers Center

The WILL ROGERS HOTEL, listed on the National Register of Historic Places was dedicated in 1930. The fireproof structure of concrete and steel originally contained 78 rooms and 7 apartments. During World War II, it was designated as a bomb shelter. Mineral water baths called "radium water"

Claremore, OK Historic Hotels

Things to do near Claremore, OK

Copan Lake Camping

Washington Cove and Post Oak Parks have class A camping with full facilities. Washington Cove is looked after by Gate Attenda...

Tenkiller Fishing

Year-round fishing at Tenkiller Lake is good with black bass, white bass, striped bass, crappie, catfish, bream and walleye, ...

Huckleberry Canyon Park

Picnic pavillions, amphitheater and huckleberries grown in season. ...