category : Camping
The same diversity of species that attracts anglers and hunters provides excellent opportunities for photographers, naturalists, birdwatchers, mountain bikers, hikers, and skiers -- both water and snow. Clinton State Park,
provides camping as well as day-use opportunities. Utility hookups, restrooms, drinking water, full-service marina, archery range, and playgrounds enhance the parks popularity with families. Local schools and scout groups use Clinton for environmental education activities.
Activities such as picnicking and swimming or camping on one of the nearly 500 campsites in the park are available. Clinton State Park
also offers 240 RV sites with water and electricity. Nearby restrooms and showers add a touch of comfort to park. Clean adequate facilities and friendly helpful staff insure something for everyone.
Clinton State Park offers 15 reservable campsites with utilities, all other campsites are on a first-come basis.
CORPS OF ENGINEERS PARKS
The Corps of Engineers manages five campgrounds, Cedar, Walnut and Hickory in the Bloomington East Park, and Rockhaven Park and Woodridge Park. Campgrounds contain level campsites, many with electrical hookups, some with electrical and water hookups, lantern hanging posts, picnic tables, and fire rings or above ground grills. Shower buildings, sanitary dump stations and playgrounds are located in the more developed parks.
For USCOE campground videos visit the Kansas City District web page:
- $16.00 per night. This campground is open April 1 through mid-October and has 101 campsites with electric and water hookups. Many campsites have pull-through capabilities. There are three comfort stations, a shower building, playground, and a laundry facility.
- $14.00 per night (electrical hookup)/$10.00 per night (non-electric)/$8.00 per night (Oak Loop). This campground is open May 1 through September 30 and has 126 campsites. There are 52 sites with electrical hookups and 74 without hookups. Walnut campground has three conveniently located comfort stations, a playground, and shares a shower building/laundry facility with Hickory campground. Oak Loop, somewhat separated from the Walnut campground, has 30 sites, all non-electric.
- $14.00 per night (electrical hookup)/$10.00 per night (non-electric). This campground is open May 1 through September 30 and has 125 campsites. There are 67 sites with electrical hookups and 58 without hookups. Hickory campground has 2 conveniently located comfort stations, 1 vault toilet, and shares a shower building/laundry facility with Walnut campground. The Walnut and Hickory campgrounds share the historic stone smokehouse amphitheater where evening programs are presented on most Saturdays, May through September.
- $4.00 per night (self-pay)/$6.00 per night (if Ranger collects). This campground is open April 1 through October 30 and has 50 campsites, none with hookups. There are two conveniently located vault toilets. Rockhaven Park has the only campground on Clinton Lake that allows people to camp with their horses or mules. The main trailhead for the South Shore or Rockhaven Trail is located in Rockhaven Park. There is also a day use parking lot for those who wish to ride or walk the trails without overnight camping. We do ask that day use trail users park in the day use parking lot rather than on campsites.
- Woodridge Park is a primitive camping area, for tents only, that is free of charge and open all year round. There is a large mowed area that people can camp in, or people can camp along the 4.5 mile trail. Drinking water and one vault toilet are provided. The 4.5 mile trail is quite scenic as it travels through woods, meadows and hay fields, and meets up with the lakeshore several times. There are numerous small clearings, along the trail, that make excellent camping spots. The Corps of Engineers asks that people use existing campfire rings when camping along the trail.
Group Camp Facilities
Bloomington West Group Camp
(Corps of Engineers) - This group camp is open from April 1 through October 15 and costs $100.00 per day. There are 30 campsites, without hookups, for up to 150 people, located within a heavily wooded area. Facilities include one picnic shelter, shower building, playground, basketball goal, and a softball diamond. Boat ramp #4 is located a short distance from the group camp for convenient boat launching.
Ash and Elm Group Camps
(Corps of Engineers) - These group camps are open from May 1 through September 30 and cost $40.00 per day. These areas offer random camping for up to 50 people in a mowed grassy area. Facilities include a picnic shelter, volleyball court, vault toilet, and drinking water. Campers can use the Walnut/Hickory campground shower building, just a short drive away.
Campsite reservations are available through the NRRS (National Recreation Reservation Service) at 877-444-6777. The NRRS also makes reservations for group camps and picnic shelters located in Corps of Engineers parks. The NRRS also provides a website for making reservations via the internet. The web address is " www.reserveusa.com
Camping Fees Vary Address:
4 miles West of Lawrence on Clinton Parkway Phone:
785-842-8562 Our Email: ClintonSP@wp.state.ks.us
Corps of Engineers Project Office - 785-843-7665
Come visit us in , Kansas