LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Concordia, Kansas

Concordia is a portrait on the Kansas prairie. As one looks out across the valley and sees the little town enfolded in the softly rolling hills, one feels a sense of peace.

Symbol of Kansas, the tall grain elevator thrusts its white towers into the sky. The old of the red brick convent of the Sisters of St. Joseph blends with the new of the Junior College and the hospital.

Concordia is a pretty town - a pleasant town with well kept homes. There are comfortable schools; a much used City Park with a bandshell and a baseball diamond. The churches speak of the faith and generosity of their members. The main street is simple, dignified and well-cared for.

Concordia became a town in 1871, founded by Jim Hagaman, a very motivated and community minded individual. The artists who painted those first brush strokes of the "Portrait On The Prairie" were gallant souls with incredible courage and daring spirit.

The great lure was land . . . all that land. It created exciting dreams of a future of wealth, power, freedom, of "being somebody." Many who came were from eastern states. Many were impoverished men, often well educated, who came because the land was free. Many who came were immigrants. Each immigrant coming from crowded, impoverished, politically controlled countries in Europe, knew what it meant to have "his own land."

So they came, from the east seeking land and wealth and investments; from Europe seeking land, freedom and identity; all of them seeking the opportunity to be part of a new experience, to be free.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Cloud County Historical Museum

The Museum preserves and exhibits objects and documents of historical items representing early-day Kansas. It is housed in the former 1908

Concordia, KS Museums

Camp Concordia

From 1943 to 1945 during WWII over 4,000 Germans were held in an internment camp where they experienced a type of freedom they had never known at home. Located on 157.5 acres, Camp Concordia consisted of 308 buildings. Today, a guard tower, guard post building, water tower base and building T-9

Concordia, KS Military History

Cloud County Stained Glass Tour

Have fun on your self-guided tour visiting these sites by yourself or in a group. Detailed maps will show you the way. Call the Brown Grand Theatre, 785-243-2553 for details.

Concordia

Concordia, KS Tours

Nazareth Motherhouse

Known as the beacon light of Concordia, the well-known rose window looks over the community from the convent. It is the official Motherhouse and Home for the 260 Sisters of St. Joseph of Concordia. It was built in 1903 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Sites

Concordia, KS Historic Churches

The Brown Grand Theater

The historic Brown Grand Theatre is located at the west end of downtown Concordia. Listed on the National Historic Register, the French Renaissance theater was built by Col. Napoleon Bonaparte Brown in 1906-07. The 650

Concordia, KS Historic Theatres

Things to do near Concordia, KS

Bell-Bogardus Indian Massacre and Cemetery

August 12, 1868 - At the homestead site of David A. Bogardus, 40 rods north of the Solomon River and 3 miles southeast of Wil...

Jensen/Dahl/Wade Home

The Jensen/Dahl/Wade home in Denmark, Kansas, is a late 1800's limestone home furnished with turn-of-the-century pieces and h...

Bohemian Hall

The hall became the center for lodge meetings, wedding dances, public dances, plays, programs, church services and funerals. ...