With its foundation laid in Kansas Territory, the Terwilliger Home was built alongside the famed Santa Fe Trail as Kansas became the 34th state.
Built by Abraham and Mary Rawlinson in 1860-61, this... Terwilliger Home
Perched high on a hill overlooking the town and Neosho River valley below, this bell was erected in 1866 to warn townsfolk of Indian raids. It also served as a school and church bell for nearly 30 years.
This imposing, 76-foot-long native stone barn was built into the bank of a hill in 1871 on land owned by the town's founder, Seth Hays. It's the only structure remaining from the Morris County Poor Farm, which existed here from 1889-1945.
Town founder Seth Hays, a grandson of Daniel Boone and cousin of Kit Carson, opened the Hays House in 1857. Over the years, the Hays House was a gathering place for church services, court trials, bawdy theatricals and politicians\'