Cross Plains, Texas
Cross Plains was established as a post office in 1877, and was originally known as Turkey Creek and Schleicher. It was probably named for the crossings of the stage coaches and military roads prior to the Civil War. An historic marker is in Treadaway Park where Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant camped with their troops on the banks of Turkey Creek. East and West Caddo Peaks, visible from Texas 36 five miles west of town, were used as landmarks by Indians, soldiers, and government survey crews.
Today, the community has a large trade area with an economy based on farming, ranching, and oil and gas production. Hunting for dove, quail, turkey, and white-tailed deer is excellent in the area.