Next to the Currituck County Courthouse sits the original Currituck Jail. This jail was built after receiving legislative permission in 1767, burned down in 1808, then was rebuilt in 1857 and is one of the four oldest jails in North Carolina.
The jail is a Jacobean brick building 32' X 20'
The original Courthouse was built in 1723. The present courthouse was built prior to 1869: some say as early as 1842. The courthouse now houses the County Commissioners Meeting Room and other County offices. The building is open weekdays.