Selected as the townsite and seat of Wise County 1856, Decatur was first known as Taylorsville. The famous Butterfield Overland Mail Route passed through town in the mid-1800s. Decatur is the site of the trial and hanging of five Peace Party conspirators in 1862.
Fishing and camping north off F.M. 730 on Black Creek Lake is available in the Caddo National Grasslands.