Built on Robert Guthrie League granted by the Mexican government through Stephen F. Austin in 1824. As a commissary for Italian laborers on the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway, Edna was first called Macaroni Station. Today, as the seat of Jackson County, Edna is thecommercial center for rice, cotton, corn and milo, livestock, and oil and gas.
Edna lies along the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail which extends from Brownsville to north of Beaumont. The trail offers bird watchers to observe birds intersecting along two major migration flyways. Information on the birding adventure, as well as events, accommodations, and restaurants is available from the Chamber of Commerce.