El Dorado has been home to Butler Community College since it was founded in 1927. The then El Dorado Junior College was originally housed within the town's Junior High School. Today the college is located at the southwest corner of Haverhill and Towanda. The El Dorado campus is home to 256
The historic Butler County Courthouse was built in 1909. Its Romanesque Style was designed by famed architect, George P. Washburn. Its terrazzo floors are still intact and reflect its elegant history.
The first woman jury in Kansas met here in 1912.