LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Junction City, Kansas

Junction City, Kansas

From the very beginning, the people of Junction City have demonstrated a remarkable capacity to accept and absorb newcomers. Settlers and travelers came to this spot at the junction of two rivers from a variety of cultures, denominations and ethnic backgrounds. Differences may have been noted, but it seems they were not dwelt upon for long. Very early, Junction Citians were working together to create a town with all the facilities and atmosphere necessary to nurture growth and quality family life, even on the frontier.

Junction City had four names before it finally setteled with the name Junction City. On February 9, 1859, in a special act, the Kansas Territorial Legislature incorporated the town of Junction City. The new town grew rapidly and within ten years had become a thriving community which continues today.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Geary County State Fishing Lake

As an alternative to the two big reservoirs at Milford Lake and Tuttle Creek Lake in this area, Geary County State Lake is a smaller body of water with 99 acres of secluded fishing, free camping, hunting, and hiking. The lake is primarily intended to be used for fishing and no swimming is allowed.

Junction City, KS Recreation

First Baptist Church

The First Baptist Church was organized in Junction City on November5, 1865. This building was dedicated January 27, 1867, and served as the Baptist Church until the adjacent building was occupied in 1917. Under the stucco exterior are the original native limestone blocks.

Junction City, KS Historic Churches

Episcopal Church of the Covenant

This historic limestone church was built in 1859 and is the oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use in Kansas.

Junction City, KS Historic Churches

Spring Valley School

The Spring Valley Heritage Site, located west of Junction City at the intersection of Highway 18 and Spring Valley Road features a restored 19th century one-room schoolhouse and related out buildings. An 1870 period homesteader's hewn-log cabin has been relocated at the site.

Junction City, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Historic Opera House

The Junction City Opera House and City Offices/Fire Station opened in January, 1882, in a stately red brick structure featuring a tall pointed tower with a four-faced clock. In January 1898, almost 16

Junction City, KS Opera Houses

Things to do near Junction City, KS

Flint Hills Nature Trail / Rails to Trails

"A trail passing through paradise". A 115 mile gravel and wood chip covered trail for non-motorized recreation passes through...

Lyons/Hamblet Residence

This house was once the scene of much activity. It was the Lyons Boarding House before many hotels or restaurants were built....