In the deep Southwest Texas by the Rio Grande, the village of Langtry was established in 1881 when the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railway was building through. Langtry was the junction of construction from east and west. Two origins of the town's name exist, one prosaic, the other romantic. One credits the town name to a civil engineer named Langtry who directed a group of Chinese laborers in the railroad construction. But colorful Judge Roy Bean insisted he named the town after his idol, English actress, Lillie Langtry, the "Jersey Lilly."