LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Claremore, Oklahoma

Claremore, Oklahoma

We invite you to visit where we live, where the likes of Will Rogers grew up, along with astronaut Stuart Roosa, and Mrs. Sam (Helen) Walton, the recently retired JC Penney Chairman of the Board, W.R. Howell, where singer Pattie Page was born, where long-time and famous rodeo announcer, Clem McSpadden lives, where author Lynn Riggs wrote about his youth growing up in the area through his story "Green Grow the Lilacs" which Rodgers and Hammerstein transformed into the beautiful production of "Oklahoma!" Andy Payne from the Foyil area won the first "transcontinental" foot race referred to as the Bunion Derby in 1928. Who knows what future notables are growing up here now!

Claremore History

What is now Claremore, Oklahoma was once a vast wilderness practically uninhabited except for wild animals. In 1802, a band of Osage Indians settled on a 25 acre mound along the Verdigris River. The mound became known as Clermont, French for "clear mountain" and Glahmo, the osage chief became known as Chief Clermont. After the infamous "Trail of Tears", the Cherokees were given title to the land, and the Osage were removed to a reservation, later called Osage County.

The Cherokees were remarkable people. They prospered, organized constitutional governments, established towns, published newspapers, magazines and books, and established an extensive educational system. The Historic Tour of Claremore is not just about places, but the story of people and the Indian heritage that is woven together to make this a little city with a big Hall of Fame.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Belvidere

This magnificent Victorian mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was started circa 1902

Claremore, OK Museums

J. M. Davis Arms & Historic Museum

The Davis Arms Museum contains the world's largest collection of guns with over 20,000 on display. It is also the home for a large collection of John Rogers statuaries, a stein collection, swords, saddles, Indian artifacts,

Claremore, OK Museums

Rogers County Courthouse

The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.

Claremore, OK Historic Courthouses

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Claremore's Expo-Center

The City of Claremore has redeveloped its old city/county fair grounds by removing all structures, and acquiring additional acreage, bringing the area to more than 55 acres. The major addition has been bulding the Expo Center.

Arena Area

Claremore, OK Expo Centers

Things to do near Claremore, OK