In July 1995, six monks came to the barren Sonora Arizona desert from the Holy Monastery of Philotheou, Mount Athos. Upon their arrival, the fathers begun with the necessary construction work, buildin... Saint Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery
Indian raids on white settlers were common in the 1880s. When William Clarke, a mining engineer, and his wife Ella came to Florence, he devised built-in security in constructing his residence about 1884
This is the Historic District's finest example of a Sonoran corner-style row house. Its street facades are flush with the property line and the wings are one room deep. Always used as a residence, it was built in 1880 by Juan Luna, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Historic Coke Ovens, otherwise known as charcoal kilns, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, were built in 1882 along the Gila River by the Pinal Consolidated Mining Company, and are so inaccessible that their preservation is easily understood.
The earliest fired-brick building still standing in Florence and the town's second oldest brick structure, the second Nicholas Saloon and Beer Hall was built in 1889 for John Nicholas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.