This historic home was built in 1867 as the commanding officers residence, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The three story home was part of the Fort Gibson Fort established in Indian Territory in 1824
The Cherokee National Cemetery is a National Historic Landmark maintained by the Cherokee Nation from before the Civil War until its transfer to the town of Fort Gibson in 1906.
William P. Ross and other officials and dignitaries are buried in this cemetery.
Beginning in the early 1920s, local residents sought to preserve Fort Gibson's History. In 1936, the stockade area was reconstructed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, Works Progress Administration, and the Fort Gibson Stockade Commission. Today, the Site is a