Designated a National Cemetery by President Abraham Lincoln in 1862 along with eleven others, military graves date back to 1846.
Today, more than 20,000 veterans representing every war since 1812 a... National Cemetery
The Rookery at 12-14 Sumner Place is the oldest house in Kansas. It was completed in 1834 and was the first permanent post headquarters building. Lieutenant Douglas MacArthur lived here in the early 1900s. The building is a Registered National Landmark.
The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.
The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960