LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Riley, Kansas

Fort Riley, Kansas

In an 1843 expedition, Captain John C. Fremont, "The Pathfinder," camped at the junction of the Smoky Hill and Republican Rivers. He reported great numbers of elk, antelope and Indians. Most of the Indian tribes were friendly at the time, because settlers had not yet moved into the area.

Within a few years, however, the "Great Migration" along the Oregon Trail and trade along the Santa Fe Trail brought thousands of pioneers through the "Indian Territory," as Kansas was known back then.

Indian war parties began raiding wagon trains as they traveled through the bluffs of eastern Kansas. It became evident that military protection was needed for these pioneers. Thus began the chain of events leading to the founding of Fort Riley in 1852. At the time it was named Fort Center - because it was believed to be the geographical center of the country. In 1853, the post was renamed after Major General Bennett Riley.

Fort Riley stood as the major horse cavalry training school in our country and boasted a position as one of the best cavalry training schools in the world. The famous 7th Cavalry was put through harsh and difficult training before leaving for campaigns against Indians. From the gates of Fort Riley, the cavalry rode to such famous campaigns as: Beecher's Island, the Washita River Fight, and Battle of the Little Big Horn.

The First Infantry Division, more commonly known as the "Big Red One" - the "Fighting First" - came to Fort Riley from Germany in 1955 and remained in Kansas until 1995. Today Fort Riley is known as home of America's Army.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

U. S. Cavalry Museum

The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall

Constructed in 1889, this building originally served as the post hospital until after World War II, when primary medical facilities were moved to Camp Whiteside. It is named after General Charles P. Summerall, who was an early commander of the 1

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Trolley Station

The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Things to do near Fort Riley, KS

Sweet 120

Truffles, fudge, chocolate covered pretzels and popcorn... the list goes on! This lovely downtown shop features gourmet choc...

Cowboy Jail

The stone building was used to house prisoners before the courthouse was finished in 1883. ...