Franklin was established under a different name (Morgan) in 1871, as the seat of Robertson County, named after Sterling C. Robertson, founder of Robertson's Colony. Franklin was a popular health resort in last decades of the 19th century. The mineral springs attracted visitors from throughout state. Today, Franklin is a shipping center for livestock, cotton, alfalfa, vegetables, fruits and pecans. Minerals include oil, fuller's earth and lignite. Wild flowers, especially the Texas state flower, the bluebonnet, are beautifully profuse in spring.
The Robertson County Courthouse was built in 1881. In 1924, it was reconstructed, and the original roofs and cornices were removed and replaced with parapets and overhangs covered with tile, suggesting a Spanish Renaissance character. The courthouse and jail were listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Booger Country Opera is usually the first Saturday of the month at nearby New Baden Community Center. And, while there, stop by the local general store established in 1884.