Dodge County was established in 1856. Fontenelle was named temporary county seat, but Fremont won the
county seat designation in 1860. J.J. Hawthorn donated land for courthouse purposes in 1866. In 1867 the county built the first courthouse, a two-story brick structure. In December 188
The Fremont Lakes State Recreation area just west of Fremont draws nearly a million visitors a year. The 700-acre site has 20 sandpit lakes that provide fishing, swimming, power boating, skiing and jet skiing. There are 200
Take yourself back in Fremont's history with a self-guided tour of Nye Avenue. View the beautifully designed homes boasting the different architectural styles of their period. There are over twenty-five houses within the confines of the proposed National Register District of Nye Avenue.
This is the community's premier celebration, and is held three days in July. Activities take place throughout town and include a wide variety of entertainment, cultural presentations, historical re-enactments, food courts, live entertainment, craft booths, sporting events and more.
Visit the historic depots in the downtown district of Fremont in the vicinity of 1st and "D" Streets. There is the two-story brick Chicago & Northwestern Freight House built in 1903 after C&NW gained control of the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad which began in 1869 (now the Fremont &