When Gila County moved its offices into the then new county courthouse in March, 1907, the county jail was housed in the rear of the ground floor. Shortly thereafter, it was apparent that the jail within the courthouse was insufficient to meet the needs of the county. On January 5, 1909
Besh-Ba-Gowah is an ancient ruin unlike the others. Here you are encouraged to walk within the rooms of this 700 year old pueblo, climb ladders into the upper stories, and see the utensils, pottery and furbishings that were a part of life in pre-Columbian times.
The exact construction date is unknown, but pictorial references verify this two story brick structure was built between 1905 and 1910. The Edison Electric Company occupied the ground floor and the upstairs was a residence for the company manager and his family.
The old Gila County Courthouse is now home to the Cobre Valley Center for the Arts. This building was actually the second county courthouse built on this site. The original courthouse, completed in September 1888, was evidently inadequate to begin with. By March, 1907