Gonzales has often been called the "Lexington of Texas" because the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution was fought here. It was settled in 1825 by Green C. DeWitt, an American empresario from Missouri, who named it for Rafael Gonzales (then the governor of the joint state of Coahuila-Texas). The town was designed by the Mexican government. Interestingly, the streets were named for saints, and markers today show the original plan. As the current seat of Gonzales County, the city is the center of large pecan, cattle and poultry production.