In southeastern Young County on the Wichita Falls and Southern, and the Chicago, Rock Island, and Gulf Railroads, Graham was founded in 1872 by Gustavus and Edwin S. Graham. The Graham brothers were from Kentucky and founded Graham Brothers Salt Works. In 1874, Young County was organized and Graham became the county seat. By 1876, the Graham Leader ran its first edition; this weekly publication is the oldest newspaper in the Northwest Texas region. Today Graham is the hub of agribusiness, oil and gas extraction, and other industries in the county.
Visitors like to shop on the historic downtown square and at a growing number of antique stores, and the courthouse square is recognized as the largest downtown square in America. The city also has one of few remaining drive-in theaters left in the state.
History buffs enjoy touring the restored buildings of Ft. Belknap, one of many along the Texas Forts Trail. Fishing, boating and other water sports draw visitors to Possum Kingdom Lake. Graham Country Club features a 9-hole golf course, ranked among the best 9-hole courses in the state according to The Dallas Morning News.
Annual events include ArtSplash on the Square in May, Red,White and You in July, Western Heritage Week in October, and Christmas Stroll &Lighted Parade in December.