Grand Prairie, Texas
Grand Prairie was established at the close of the Civil War on the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Its original name was Dechman, but was renamed in 1873, and incorporated in 1909. The population spurred by large defense plants during World War II.
Public recreation facilities include Lynn Creek Park, Loyd Park, and Splash Factory, feature playgrounds, picnic areas, athletic fields, swimming, boating and golf (Prairie Lakes Golf Course has gold the in the sand traps, assaying about $2.85 per ton and Tangle Ridge Golf Club is rated one of the top in the state).