LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Greensburg, Kansas

Greensburg, Kansas

Prior to Tornado Disaster - May 4, 2007
In 1886, Governor John Martin organized Kiowa County and named it after the native Indians of the area. Small settlements were springing up across the plains. Donald R. Green "Cannonball Green" was instrumental in the organization of Greensburg, the town that would bear his name. Green was elected Kiowa County's first representative in the Kansas legislature in 1889.

Colonel Green was a flamboyant, boastful character. He liked to dominate a crowd while twirling his diamond-studded watch chains. He owned and operated "The Cannonball Stageline." His fine stagecoaches and speeding broncos blazed trails which railroads and highways later followed. He took great pride in the speed of his coaches and advertised that even "Father Time" couldn't keep up with the "Cannonball".

His stageline brought stability and prosperity to the towns it served as he helped his passengers become acquainted with prairie life. But his stageline was up-staged when the railroad came to Kiowa County. And that begins the story of the World's Largest Hand Dug Well!

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Pallasite Meteorite

Half iron and half stone, the meteorite weighs in at 1000 lbs. and is on display in the Big Well Museum at the Big Well Gift Shop. It is the largest meteroite of its kind yet discovered. The Space Wanderer was found on the Ellis Peck farm east of Greensburg, in 1948

Greensburg, KS Natural Attractions

The Lamkin Museum

Prior to Tornado Disaster - May 4, 2007

Greensburg, KS Museums

Hunter Drugstore & Old Fashioned Soda Fountain

The original drugstore building was built in 1917 and until May 4, 2007 when the city of Greensburg was hit by an EF5

Greensburg, KS Historic Buildings



Things to do near Greensburg, KS

Horse Thief Reservoir Trails

Horse Thief Reservoir also has trails for horseback riding(in designated trail areas, hiking and wildlife viewing. Open ye...

Finney County Historic Driving Tour

Finnup Park Land for the park was donated to the city in 1919 by George Finnup in m...