LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Hays, Kansas

Our community of Hays, a city of 20,000, presents the rare mix of the amenities of a larger city in the wholesome setting of a small town. This peaceful environment is perfect for a comfortable family life, while providing many commercial and economic opportunities.

In August of 1867 Hays City began when the Union Pacific Railroad, Eastern Division, reached the area. The town was located here not only because of its proximity to the railroad, but also due to the presence of Fort Hays, a U.S. Army garrison. Teamsters, railroad workers, homesteaders, soldiers, and even desperadoes following the railroad, made Hays City a tough "end of the track" town.

Of all the downtown businesses, The Tommy Drum Saloon may be the most well known. The record is cloudy as to when Tommy Drum came to Hays City, but it was sometime prior to June 1, 1870, when he was listed on the US Census. He was a veteran of the U.S. 6th Infantry in both the Mexican and Florida Wars. Drum's Saloon reputedly was a favorite gathering place of many famous men such as "Buffalo Bill" Cody, "Wild Bill" Hickok, Lieutenant Colonel Custer and Generals Miles and Sheridan.

Two Goddard brothers, Cy and Ed, also ran saloons in early Hays City. The Goddards may have played an important role in William Cody gaining the nickname "Buffalo Bill" by giving him a job hunting buffalo for them. "Wild Bill" was probably in this area as early as April of 1867 as a scout for Lieutenant Colonel George Custer. In December of the same year he was in Hays as a Deputy US Marshal. From late July or early August of 1869 to December of 1869, Hickok served as the acting sheriff of Ellis County. He apparently was not elected by served at the will of the vigilante committee. During his term as acting sheriff, Hickok killed 2 men, who may have been more or less outside the law than Hickok, depending on which historian you believe. The buildings from Hays violent past are gone but its history lives on in names such as "Wild Bill" Hickok, "Buffalo" Bill Cody, "Rattlesnake" Pete Lanahan and James "The Cur" Currie.

Located on the grounds of the Ellis County Historical Society Museum at 100 W. 7th is the reconstructed Volga-German House. This house was built from information obtained through diaries and documentation passed down to the descendants.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Rolling Plains Motor Speedway - RPM'S

Rolling Plains Motor Speedway - RPM'S Ellis County Fairgrounds 1344 Fairground Road Hays, KS 67601 785-639-RACE (7223) Promoter, Rod Bencken, 785-672-0123 Track email info@rpmspeedway.net Hours: Varies - Races generally start at 7:30 pm Admission: Call for gate fees.

Hays, KS Racing

Hays City Sportsman's Club

The Hays City Sportsman's Club provides trap, skeet, rifle and pistol ranges to members and guests with shooting clinics and registered events are held throughout the year. In 2006 the club celebrated their 30

Hays, KS Hunting

Kansas Postcard Collection

The Kansas Postcard Collection was donated to Fort Hays State University and the community of Hays by the Association of Community Arts Agencies in 2006. The display is located in the FHSU Robbins Center and is one of the largest collections of original Kansas Art in the world. There are 635

Hays, KS Arts

Moss-Thorns Gallery of Art/ FHSU Art Displays

The Fort Hays State University Art Department and Moss-Thorns Gallery is located on the first floor of Rarick Hall on the northeast edge of the FHSU campus. Rarick Hall was completed in the spring of 1981

Hays, KS Arts

Buffalo Herd

Located on US-183 Alternate, four miles south of I-70 and directly across from Historic Fort Hays is a small herd of buffalo. Free admission and visitors are welcome to view the herd from either the road that goes through Frontier Park or the access road south of the buffalo herd pasture.

Hays, KS Pioneer Life

Things to do near Hays, KS

Bison Community Museum

Many of the contents in the Bison Community Museum were donated by area citizens and are retained by the museum as a public t...

Wohlfort Mansion

The 3-story mansion was built in the early 1890s by Thure Wohlfort, one of the original colonists of New Scandinavia (Scandia...