LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Henderson, Texas

Henderson was designated the seat of Rusk County in 1843 and enjoyed rapid growth during its first two decades, but a disastrous fire in 1860 destroyed most of the business houses. Oil was discovered in 1930, and now Henderson is an oil and agriculture commercial center and home of Texas Baptist Institute. Henderson is a Main Street City with walking tours of the historic downtown district available.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Harmony Hill Ghost Town

Eighteen miles northeast on Texas 43, The Harmony Hill Ghost Town was important trade center known as Nip and Tuck in 1850. Bypassed by railroads, the town declined, and in 1906

Henderson, TX Ghost Towns

Depot Museum and Children's Discovery Center

Restored 1901 Missouri Pacific RR depot houses museum of county history in old waiting room and office. Warehouse portion is hands-on learning center for children 3 to 11. On grounds is 1908 restored "Arnold Outhouse," first in state to receive historical marker. Ornate, gingerbread-style, "

Henderson, TX Museums


East Texas Discovery Well

In 1927, Columbus M. "Dad" Joiner believed there was oil in Rusk County. Joiner and an Oklahoma attorney and oil promoter had won and lost two fortunes in oil, and despite nearing age 70, he was beginning another search "without even the proverbial shoestring."

Henderson, TX Oil History

Rose Hill Ampitheater

Unique amphitheater is located in natural crater that is 60 feet deep and 300

Henderson, TX Amphitheaters

Things to do near Henderson, TX

First Bed and Breakfast in Texas/Pride House

First bed and breakfast in state. This Victorian mansion features more than 30 original stained glass windows and 12-ft. tall...

Oak Grove Golf Club

Course Access: PublicHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: Yes...

Woodlands Resort & Country Club, The -Deacon / King

Course Access: ResortHoles: 18Reserve Advance Tee Times: 7 days...

Scenic Drive

Several routes near Rusk offer excellent woodland scenery: U.S. 69 both north and south; also F.M. 347, F.M. 747 (neither sho...

Reo Palm Isle

A Longview landmark which opened in 1937 as the Palm Isle Club. Operated during WWII by owner of Mattie's Ballroom, another p...